About Good Returns  |  Advertise  |  Contact Us  |  Terms & Conditions  |  RSS Feeds Other Sites:   depositrates.co.nz  |   landlords.co.nz
Last Article Uploaded: Thursday, September 21st, 8:24PM
Check out GoodReturns TV now! Dismiss

Tip from the top

Thursday, March 6th 2014, 2:17PM

As an advisor, one of the most important aspects of being a successful practitioner is the ability to run a successful business. We might have all the technical abilities to give great client advice, but if we do not know how to structure a business, we will ultimately fail in this industry.

Every year, I make a point to spend a day in another advisor’s office to see how they run their business. By doing this, I see how things can be done differently (more effectively, cheaper, etc.), and I usually pick up one or two items to incorporate into my own practice. I find that if I continually do this year after year, I’m able to learn new ways to improve my practice from some of the brightest people in our industry. You’ll find most successful advisors are happy to spend the time with you as they also learn how you run your practice, and this helps them with their business.

Clay Gillespie, CFP, CIM, a 12-year MDRT member with one Court of the Table and nine Top of the Table honors from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Strategy Thoughts
  • Sovereign sold
    “@Murray - I recommended to AIA Senior Management in 1999 that they buy Sovereign. Got nowhere at all. Different times, different...”
    7 minutes ago by dcwhyte
  • Sovereign sold
    “@Mr Slater I don't think so. An Aussie story I saw said the price was 16.9 times 2017-18 pro forma earnings. That story...”
    5 hours ago by Murray Weatherston
  • Sovereign sold
    “It looks like AIA may have now joined the Big End Of Town. Hopefully that isn't a negative thing and they continue to act...”
    6 hours ago by Comprehensive Planner
  • Sovereign sold
    “Large financial institutions are divesting themselves of wealth management capabilities presenting threats and opportunities...”
    6 hours ago by Pragmatic
  • Sovereign sold
    “Murray I hope it wasn't a case of 'buy one get one free'?...”
    7 hours ago by Mr Slater