tmmonline.nz  |   landlords.co.nz        About Good Returns  |  Advertise  |  Contact Us  |  Terms & Conditions  |  RSS Feeds

NZ's Financial Adviser News Centre

GR Logo
Last Article Uploaded: Friday, June 18th, 6:08PM

Mortgages

Mortgage Rates Daily Commentary
Friday 18 June 2021  Add your comment
ANZ predicts OCR hike in February; ASB to repay $9m over break-fee blunder; Westpac rate cuts

ANZ economists predict the official cash rate will begin to rise in February, after the New Zealand economy roared back into life in the first quarter: [READ ON]

ASB has been censured by the Commerce Commission after hitting home loan customers with over-expensive break-fees. It will pay affected customers nearly $9m: [READ ON]

Westpac has slashed its one year mortgages by 6 basis points this morning. Check out the latest rates here.

rss
Latest Headlines

Less urgency to cut OCR but bias remains

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." - Niels Bohr

Tuesday, May 31st 2016, 11:53AM

by Harbour Asset Management

The market and economic backdrop has changed noticeably since the RBNZ last cut interest rates in March.  As a result there is much less urgency to cut the official cash rate (OCR) at the upcoming 9 June meeting.  The market is pricing a 20% chance of a 25 basis point cut.  However, looking further ahead, in our view a continued absence of inflation pressures still points to low interest rates for an extended period. 

The stars aligned for an OCR cut back in March:

  • The IMF and others revised down global growth forecasts;
  • Global markets wobbled as fears of a recession set in;
  • Wholesale funding markets became strained;
  • Global commodity prices fell, including dairy prices to new lows; and
  • Oil prices dropped below $30 a barrel, putting further downward pressure on global headline inflation in Q1 2016.

Locally, the fate of the OCR was sealed by a softening in Auckland house prices in January and February, and a worrying decline in NZ CPI inflation expectations that risked undermining the RBNZ’s inflation targeting credentials.  In addition to cutting the OCR by 25 basis points, the Bank projected another 25 basis points of cuts in the pipeline for 2016.


As we approach the June Monetary Policy Statement, the RBNZ is met with a very different backdrop:

  • Global markets have stabilised and bounced significantly in the case of equities;
  • Fears of a global recession have subsided;
  • Dairy prices have risen 3% from their lows;
  • Oil prices are closer to $50 a barrel, bumping up CPI inflation forecasts for Q2 2016;
  • NZ CPI inflation expectations surveys have stabilised, not falling further as was feared; and, 
  • The US Federal Reserve has signalled that they are actively considering a rate hike at their June meeting, steaming the seemingly relentless tide of central banks cutting rates and easing policy across the globe.

At home the most significant change has occurred in the housing market.

Back in the March MPS, the RBNZ noted that “house price inflation has moderated”.  It took only one strong month of REINZ data for March for the RBNZ to review its assessment in the April OCR review to “there are some indications that house price inflation in Auckland may be picking up”.   Another strong month of REINZ data for April now means that the weakness in January and February has been fully unwound.  This brings the RBNZ’s awkward trade-off between achieving its responsibilities for monetary and financial stability into sharper focus.

Indeed, the RBNZ’s Financial Stability Report in May contained a hint of helplessness over the housing market. 

Despite the Minister of Finance fuelling expectations that the RBNZ would announce new macroprudential measures, no action was forthcoming in the document.  In the press conference there was some discussion of the merits of introducing new loan-to-income (LTIs) restrictions.  However, the reality is that these would be much more challenging to introduce, given the political problem of inhibiting first time buyers, the conceptual problem of LTIs making more sense for home owners than investors, and the measurement problem of the RBNZ having only collected a short history of LTI data from banks.   
  
The bottom line is that with the housing market returning as a headache for the RBNZ, and new macroprudential measures at least 6 months away, it becomes more difficult for the Bank to cut the OCR at the June meeting.  As a result, the market is pricing only a 20% chance of a June cut, down from around 80% soon after the March meeting.  Given the way the economic environment has evolved in recent months, we believe this assessment of the near term outlook is broadly fair.

However, as we look forward ahead, in our opinion the continued absence of underlying inflation pressures still points to low interest rates for an extended period, with the balance of risks skewed toward further cuts.

While surveys of NZ CPI inflation expectations have not fallen further as feared, they still sit uncomfortably below the mid-point of the inflation target.  And central banks globally still remain puzzled about why CPI inflation and wage inflation remain stubbornly low, even after taking into account the fall in oil prices.  The surprisingly low Australian CPI inflation outturn in April that forced the hand of RBA is useful reminder of the “lowflation” that continues to exist.  

While the market is currently focused on the strength of the Auckland housing market, don’t rule out the problem of stubbornly low inflation eventually returning to the agenda.

Christian Hawkesby, Director at Harbour Asset Management
This column does not constitute advice to any person.
www.harbourasset.co.nz/disclaimer/

Important disclaimer information

Tags: Implemented Investment Solutions OCR Reserve Bank

« OCR on hold till August - HSBCOCR calls favour hold »

Special Offers

Comments from our readers

No comments yet

Sign In to add your comment

 

print

Printable version  

print

Email to a friend
Mortgage Rates Table

Full Rates Table | Compare Rates

Lender Flt 1yr 2yr 3yr
AIA 4.55 ▼2.19 2.59 ▲2.99
ANZ 4.44 2.79 3.19 3.59
ANZ Special - 2.19 2.59 2.99
ASB Back My Build 1.79 - - -
ASB Bank 4.45 ▼2.19 2.59 ▲2.99
Basecorp Finance 5.49 - - -
Bluestone 3.49 3.34 2.99 3.34
BNZ - Classic - ▼2.19 2.55 2.99
BNZ - Mortgage One 5.15 - - -
BNZ - Rapid Repay 4.60 - - -
BNZ - Std, FlyBuys 4.55 ▼2.79 3.15 3.59
Lender Flt 1yr 2yr 3yr
BNZ - TotalMoney 4.55 - - -
CFML Loans 4.95 - - -
China Construction Bank 4.49 4.70 4.80 4.95
China Construction Bank Special - 2.65 2.65 2.80
Credit Union Auckland 5.95 - - -
Credit Union Baywide 5.65 3.95 3.85 -
Credit Union South 5.65 3.95 3.85 -
First Credit Union Special 5.85 2.95 3.45 -
Heartland Bank - Online 1.95 1.85 2.35 2.45
Heretaunga Building Society 4.99 3.80 3.90 -
HSBC Premier 4.49 2.19 2.45 2.69
Lender Flt 1yr 2yr 3yr
HSBC Premier LVR > 80% - - - -
HSBC Special - 2.25 - -
ICBC 3.69 2.25 2.35 2.65
Kainga Ora 4.43 2.67 2.97 3.13
Kainga Ora - First Home Buyer Special - 2.25 - -
Kiwibank 3.40 3.04 3.40 3.84
Kiwibank - Offset 3.40 - - -
Kiwibank Special 3.40 2.19 2.55 2.99
Liberty 5.69 - - -
Nelson Building Society 4.95 3.20 3.24 -
Pepper Essential 4.79 - - -
Lender Flt 1yr 2yr 3yr
Resimac 3.39 2.98 2.79 3.29
SBS Bank 4.54 2.69 2.99 3.29
SBS Bank Special - 2.19 2.49 2.79
Select Home Loans 3.49 3.34 2.99 3.34
The Co-operative Bank - First Home Special - ▼1.99 - -
The Co-operative Bank - Owner Occ 4.40 ▼2.19 2.59 ▲2.99
The Co-operative Bank - Standard 4.40 ▼2.69 3.09 ▲3.49
TSB Bank 5.34 2.99 3.35 ▲3.79
TSB Special 4.54 2.19 2.55 ▲2.99
Wairarapa Building Society 4.99 3.55 3.49 -
Westpac 4.59 ▼2.79 3.19 3.59
Lender Flt 1yr 2yr 3yr
Westpac - Offset 4.59 - - -
Westpac Special - ▼2.19 2.59 2.99
Median 4.55 2.68 2.99 2.99

Last updated: 18 June 2021 9:03am

Previous News

MORE NEWS»

News Bites
Compare Mortgage Rates
Compare
From
To
For

To graph multiple lenders, hold down Ctrl key while clicking in list box

Also compare rates to OCR
Find a Mortgage Broker

Add your company

Use map
About Us  |  Advertise  |  Contact Us  |  Terms & Conditions  |  Privacy Policy  |  RSS Feeds  |  Letters  |  Archive  |  Toolbox  |  Disclaimer
 
Site by Web Developer and eyelovedesign.com