About Good Returns  |  Advertise  |  Contact Us  |  Terms & Conditions  |  RSS Feeds Other Sites:   tmmonline.nz  |   landlords.co.nz
Last Article Uploaded: Thursday, October 19th, 2:47PM

Opinion: You are not on the right plan?

Disability insurance has the same problem that mobile phone companies have. Your cover can go out of date – you can even end up holding insurance which will never pay out.

Thursday, October 9th 2008, 4:21PM

by Russell Hutchinson

Let me illustrate: I recently checked my mobile phone bill and discovered that I was paying too much. Time has marched on and I could get more minutes, and a mountain of txts, for $70 a month less than I was paying already.

I wondered at why the company had failed to call me and let me know… but only briefly. They had 70 reasons a month not to make the call.

Insurance can work the same. If your income falls for long enough then holding lots of indemnity based disability income cover which may not pay out doesn’t make sense.

Some people are heading for this situation – to think of a group at random, real estate agents perhaps?

Now after you’re done with your schadenfreude, why not make a list of them and call them to review their DI cover?

Of course, if their health is deteriorating and they believe their income will quickly recover, they should retain it.

But clients just don’t think this way about their cover.

You need to think for them – and employ a bit of pro-active customer care.

There is every chance there is good business in it, and it’ll remind them why you are there.

« Opinion: The advantages of being second classOpinion: A question of coverage »

Commenting is closed

Strategy Thoughts
  • Should lawyers give financial advice?
    “A further thought. In the section “What do lawyers think” I can see it is ok for a lawyer to tell someone to put their...”
    9 hours ago by Brent Sheather
  • Should lawyers give financial advice?
    “Good article. I have seen lots of instances where lawyers and accountants give financial advice and whilst most of it is...”
    9 hours ago by Brent Sheather
  • Should lawyers give financial advice?
    “your answer to "should financial advisers give legal or tax advice" should give you some idea if lawyers should give financial...”
    10 hours ago by w k
  • Leverage up your KiwiSaver fund
    “I liked the idea and I was in Booster's geared growth KiwiSaver. But its fees are 3x more than comparable funds, yet the...”
    3 days ago by RanDerson
  • KiwiSaver fees: Paying for performance
    “ANZ just don’t give up do they….actually not surprising as there is little downside to fake news in the NZ finance scene....”
    6 days ago by Brent Sheather