|        About Good Returns  |  Advertise  |  Contact Us  |  Terms & Conditions  |  RSS Feeds

NZ's Financial Adviser News Centre

GR Logo
Last Article Uploaded: Sunday, May 9th, 4:50PM


Latest Headlines

Licensing insurance for financial advisers

Russell Hutchinson takes a whimsical look at what this kind of cover might offer.

Tuesday, October 13th 2020, 6:00AM

by Russell Hutchinson

Imagine you could get some insurance that meant if you hadn’t decided what to do by March 15, 2021, you wouldn’t lose your financial advice business? What might the terms be?

A whimsical look at the coverage could include:

1. Undecided – in the event that you couldn’t decide between setting up your own FAP or joining another, or even which to join if you had multiple options, this policy would extend your ability to practice, for up to two years.
2. Third-party failure – in the event that you signed a contract to act as either a Financial Adviser or Nominated Representative of a third-party financial advice provider (FAP) and for whatever reason they failed to obtain a licence, or failed for any other reason, this policy would extend your ability to practice, for up to two years.
3. Change of mind – you have done a deal to be either an NR of FA for a third-party FAP but you have suddenly got cold feet for any reason (whether due to their terms, systems, or any other issue), this change of mind clause works both in the event that you change your mind about them, or they change their mind about you, this policy would extend your ability to practice, for up to two years.

Likely terms:

1. You must be prepared to detail how you would meet the requirements of the full licence regime in order to qualify – in effect, to have a back-up plan on how you would offer financial advice, what systems you would use, and how you would meet standard licence conditions and the new financial advice code.
2. Adequate governance must be in place, including meeting the fit and proper person test.
3. A fee must be paid, and costs borne by the adviser for the above preparation.

Of course, you have probably guessed by now, the "insurance" is issued by the Financial Markets Authority and is otherwise known as a transitional licence.

It does have substantial costs – and you may prefer to pursue one of your other options (such as joining another FAP) but one thing is for certain: the FMA requires you to make up your mind.

Tags: FAP insurance licensing new regime Opinion Russell Hutchinson

« The power of social mediaWhich advisers will win the future? »

Special Offers

Comments from our readers

No comments yet

Sign In to add your comment



Printable version  


Email to a friend
Insurance Briefs

Tower builds partnerships with CSC and Sentro
Tower Insurance has continued its partnership push announcing it has formed new relationships with CSC Buying Group and InsurTech start-up Sentro.

nib Little Legends $10k Relay gives junior players a healthy funding boost
The nib Little Legends $10k relay, held during half-time at the Blues vs Chiefs match on Saturday, was won by the Pakuranga United Rugby Club.

nib helps protect future rugby stars
nib New Zealand has partnered with the Auckland Blues Super Rugby Aotearoa team to launch its nib Little Legends Little Smiles initiative, giving 1000 junior rugby players OPRO custom-fitted mouthguards – the same ones worn by the professionals.

Insurance professionals get time to shine
The Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance (ANZIIF) has launched an initiative aimed at showcasing the success of insurance professionals.

News Bites
Latest Comments
Subscribe Now

Mortgage Rates Newsletter

Daily Weekly

Previous News
Most Commented On
About Us  |  Advertise  |  Contact Us  |  Terms & Conditions  |  Privacy Policy  |  RSS Feeds  |  Letters  |  Archive  |  Toolbox
Site by Web Developer and